This week we’re talking microneedling, more specifically: The SkinPen®. The SkinPen® is the only FDA cleared, Class II microneedling system in the world. It has 14 stainless steel, adjustable length needles that penetrate at a 90-degree angle which allows for exact precision, and can create 16,000 micro-injuries per second.
The SkinPen® can help correct the skins tone and reduce the appearance of acne scars and wrinkles by creating controlled micro-injuries that stimulates the body’s natural wound healing process. The body begins to growth factors that lead to the remodeling and reproduction of collagen and elastin to reveal brighter, healthier skin.
Other SkinPen® FAQs:
1. How much is a SkinPen® treatment?
– $295 for one treatment. We also offer packages; three treatments for $750 and six treatments for $1,475.
2. Is the treatment painful?
- Topical numbing is applied to the face before the treatment starts to alleviate most pain or discomfort. Some patients may experience light pain or sensitivity in areas where the skin is thinner or has more nerves, like the forehead and upper lip After the treatment you may experience a burning sensation, comparable to a sunburn, which usually subsides in 24 hours.
3. How often can you have a SkinPen® treatment?
- SkinPen® treatments can be repeated every 4-6 weeks. We usually recommend one a month while doing complimentary services in between –like Dermalinfusion treatments, SaltFacial’s or chemical peels.
4. Can you do injectables at the same time?
- You can, but we don’t recommend it. In our practice we like to allow the skin an opportunity to regenerate and recover from one treatment before the next. With the varying intensity of the SkinPen treatment there can be minor swelling, which can alter the results of your Botox or filler. Botox and filler can also migrate during the first 24 hours of being injected, so we don’t recommend any added trauma including additional services or working out.
5. What is the downtime with SkinPen® treatments?
- Downtime with the SkinPen® can be 48-72 hours. Patients may experience redness, swelling, peeling, dryness and sensitivity of the skin during the first few days after your treatment. We also recommend no makeup or sun exposure for the first 24 hours.
6. What is the aftercare for SkinPen® treatments?
- After your treatment we provide you with the products needed to care for your skin. Starting the morning after your session, you’ll cleanse with the ZO Skin Health™ Offects Hydrating Cleanser, followed by the ZO Medical™ Revitatrol Epidermal Repair Crème. You’ll repeat these two products AM and PM for five days following your SkinPen treatment. We also recommend cleaning your makeup brushes and changing your pillowcases during this time to prevent any contamination to your skin as it’s healing.
7. What’s the difference between the SkinPen® and the Micropen?
- The SkinPen® differs in that it is cleaner and safer than the Eclipse Micropen we had previously been using. Its technology prevents suction; reducing redness and the risk of broken capillaries. It also has bio sleeve technology which reduces the risk of cross contamination.
8. What does the treatment include?
- When you come for your SkinPen® treatment our expert providers will gently cleanse your face using medical grade skincare products. Following your cleanse you’ll be treated to an aromatherapy neck, shoulder and arm massage while topical numbing is applied to prepare you for your SkinPen® session. After your SkinPen®, 20 minutes of LED light therapy will assist in your skins healing and calming process. Once your session is over enjoy, some quality “you time” with complimentary beverages and snacks while you relax. We’ll also provide with an aftercare package, filled with the products and instructions you need to care for your skin and reveal your best results.
9. What can you pair The SkinPen® with?
- The SkinPen can be paired with multiple Arijai treatments including The SaltFacial, Dermalinfusion, Blading and PRP.
One of the most popular ways to enhance your SkinPen® session is by adding your own PRP (platelet rich plasma) to the treatment. The Bio-facial (aka Vampire Facial) uses your own PRP to resurface the skin while stimulating your cells to regenerate. Adding your own PRP to a microneedling session maximizes collagen production, improves skin’s color, texture, tone and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. PRP can be microneedeled in topically and can be injected into the skin to act as your own “natural filler.”
Next week we’ll discuss PRP and how you can use your bodies own naturally occurring platelets to optimize your skin and body services.